Now that I have got the basic shape as I want it I have started to refine the existing geometry and add some detail.
The cables are dummy ones to see how they look.
All of the piston tubes have been improved; a third tube between the other two will allow for great extension and the tubes have had edge loops added so that I could give them ribs and dips.
Lots of the finger and thumb joints have been given raised and sunken areas to make them look like strengthened metal.
The socket in the hip area now has some raised detail.
Once I was satisfied with the shape I aligned the parts for finishing off prior to rigging. I am now attaching the sockets for the cabling that will be created using n-cloth.