Thursday 29 September 2011

My drawing roots

The other day I rediscovered my Granddad’s collection of Punch, 26 bound books, each with a theme, still on their book self, covered up and kept safe in our house. As soon as I opened one I realized that this is where my drawing style originates. I can clearly remember being at my Nan’s house (Granddad died when I was very young and my memories of him are few, mostly involving looking down from a park in Coventry at the diesel engines as they competed with the steam engines on the railways) and sitting on the floor in the corner of the room looking at these books on Saturday afternoon before the wrestling came on the TV. 

I have scanned some examples in so you can see the fantastic quality of the illustrations, the variation of the marks and the depth that they create.






No comments:

Post a Comment